Revealing unseen business patterns
You don’t need big data to uncover important information for your business. Your management system should deliver it to you every day.
As an example, Lisa McLaren, Director of Finance at consultancy Clickthrough, told us about a spin-off benefit from their Synergist system:
“We also see patterns in the over-servicing now. For example, by client type. Very Useful.”
At Synergist we think of business pattern discovery as an automatic by-product of the management system rather than the stated reason that businesses choose a system in the first place. It’s one of those positive but unintended consequences in life that happen, all too rarely.
What types of patterns can emerge? Users have told us of various types.
- Negative trends that are revealed, such as declining margins.
- How different client types (e.g. size) affect key performance indicators.
- Geographical implications.
- Impact of different types of project on workloads, e.g. contracted resources.
- KPIs by team.
- Payment track records of different client types.
- Job health analysed by account manager.
- Positive trends that emerge over time, for example in types and sources of opportunities.
It’s usually the previous total lack of awareness of these patterns that gives them their sudden power after the new system is implemented. Kent Valentine, Director of another project-based business, told us:
“Getting Synergist gave us a surprise benefit: it shows us new ways to look at our data, uncovering trends, patterns and opportunities we had no visibility of before.”
And Sara Blannin, Finance Director of environmental consultancy ECUS, also told us about unexpected patterns surfacing after installing Synergist:
"Patterns emerge that we couldn’t see before. For example we didn’t have the visibility that some projects, or working for certain clients, always resulted in a loss.
"Knowing that helps our decision making, our pricing, our prioritising."